There are hundreds of different ways to make a hotdog, from the German Bratwurst dog covered in sauerkraut and mustard, to the American style mustard and “ketchup” dog; and everything in between. In South Africa, we know it as a “boerie” roll, with tomato relish and caramelized onions. But this is no ordinary hot dog, below you will find the recipe to the glorious “Tubby’s CBD Hot Dog”.
While we have recommendations for what the bread and sausage should be for ultimate enjoyment, the meat and bun choice is wholly up to you and what is available to you, this recipe will focus more on the toppings.
Depending on how many people you’re making this for, this recipe will be a guide to making about 4-6 hotdogs, depending on how generous you are with toppings.
Prep and cook time: 1 hour
You will need:
buns of choice (we recommend brioche buns)
Meat of choice (we recommend lamb or beef)
250 ml Sour cream
2-3 tablespoons of Tubby’s Hot Punch Chilli Paste
Juice of one lime and extra wedges for serving
1 tomato diced
1 onion diced
Half a cup of chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (to spread the buns with, we recommend Hellman’s)
1-2 Cups of grated cheese (half cheddar half mozzarella works well)
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Turn your oven on at 150 degrees Celsius
- Cook your meat in whichever way you prefer, we will always recommend over a hot fire on the “braai”.
- Slice your buns open down the centre and spread with mayonnaise, line them up on a baking tray and set aside
- Take the sour cream and mix it up with the Hot Punch CBD Chilli Paste, set aside
- Now mix the diced tomato and diced onion in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste and then finally stir in the lime juice
- Now this is where the magic happens: take your meat and place in the buns, then layer on the grated cheese, sprinkle paprika on top and place in oven for 10 minutes (until cheese is melted, once the cheese has melted and gone bubbly, take out of the oven
- Layer the tomato and onion mix on top of the Hot dogs, pour sour cream and chilli paste on top and serve with lime wedges